The Outside Sales Engineer job description includes but is not limited to working with existing and potential customers to increase sales within your territory. Making sales calls, learning applications, markets and building customer relationships. Obtain and communicate to Sales Management competitive information within your territory. Develop and maintain an excellent, team based communicative relationship with Inside Sales. Represent Zeus in a professional manner in all aspects of what you do.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
1. To manage your territory and know the characteristics and properties of the products we sell as well as the applications they’re sold into.
2. Average four (4) quality sales calls per day four (4) days per week dividing time between medical and industrial customers. Friday’s are to be used as an office day to write call reports, schedule appointments for the following week, synchronize ACT! and communicate with Sales Management regarding the weeks activities, action items and questions.
3. Submit professional weekly call report to Sales Management and Inside Sales on the “call report template” by Monday 12:00 EST listing activities from previous weeks calls as well as the following week’s itinerary.
4. Maintain customer notes and activities in ACT! and synchronize weekly with the Zeus’ network
5. Communicate daily with Inside Sales Representatives and Sales Managers regarding pertinent issues at accounts, quotes, samples questions etc.
6. Develop new customers through personal research, referrals, etc. and conduct cold calls where appropriate.
7. Annually forecast projected sales for Top 20 customers to Outside Sales Manager. Include pertinent info on other customers.
8. To maintain the confidentiality of the Outside Sales Engineer compensation program
9. Follow up on action items to insure they have been handled appropriately and in a timely fashion.
10. Obtain as much information as possible on competition providing information on pricing, lead times, capabilities, etc. to Zeus management.
11. Maintain customer files containing paperwork from Zeus corporate (i.e. quotes, samples, letters etc.)
12. Maintain and exercise professional standards, dress code and ethics.
13. Ensure the confidentiality of proprietary Zeus and customer information
14. Entertain customers effectively while being prudent with Zeus’ money. Anything other than a moderate lunch or dinner will need approval from the Outside Sales Manager.
15. Submit expense reports to Sales Manager weekly with appropriate receipts. Stay within the travel allowance guidelines as directed by Zeus. Work within the budget for car phone, faxes, phone bills and misc. home office supplies.
16. Record company vehicle miles and turn in on weekly expense reports. Make sure the vehicle is cleaned and serviced at regular intervals. Fully comply with requirements of the Zeus Fleet Safety Program.
17. Take care of Zeus-owned office equipment.
18. Host Zeus corporate visitors; pick them up and drop them off at the airport, assist in setting up accommodations.
1. The base of operations will be the home office. No other site other than a temporary site for meeting can be used.
2. All advertising and listing will be done by the Marketing Department. No additional listings are permitted (i.e. phonebook listing)
3. No repair work or services other than the solicitation of orders is permitted.
4. All orders received must be confirmed by the Sales Office. Outside Salespeople are not allowed to accept or reject an order, only forward it to Zeus corporate.
5. All material in the possession of the sales person is for samples purposes only.
6. Outside Salespeople are not to make QC decisions. Mistakes on orders can be corrected but decisions based on the evaluation of quality must be made by a Zeus QC Manager.
7. All financial activities such as credit reports and collections will be handled through Zeus accounting.
8. Outside Sales Manager must be copied or informed of any communication with corporate management.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
• Undergraduate degree, preferably business related
• One to four years technical sales experience
• Knowledge of the medical device industry
• Comfortable with computers and working knowledge in Windows, Outlook, PowerPoint, and contact management software
• Knowledge of the plastics industry is a plus